This is a really easy hack. You can convert your house lighting over to LED and save a ton of money on electricity.
- Purchase a string of Super Bright White LED Christmas Lights. Leave lights in rolled bundle. After christmas sales are a great time to save money on these.
- Purchase a lamp socket to AC two prong adapter. (Looks like below. At most hardware stores for around $2.50.)
- Remove old light bulb from light fixture.
- Screw in Lamp Socket to AC two prong adapter.
- Plug in Christmas lights into the Lamp Socket to AC two prong adapter.
- Use electrical tape to secure light string to fixture.
- Replace lamp shade or fixture dome.
And there you have it! Your light fixture is now super efficient! If you time your purchases right you can implement this solution for under $10 bucks per fixture. The low energy drain from these lights would make a great fit for Solar Photovoltaic applications.