Creosote Sucks! Below is a pic of all of the crap that came out of my chimney this year!
I can't say it enough. Wood heating is awesome... But if you have a Wood Stove it is important that you clean your chimney every year!
I cracked open my pipes this year and was truly amazed at the amount of build up in my horizontal flue pipe and in the vertical chimney pipes. My horizontal flue pipe was 50% full of crap. And when I pulled the cap off at the bottom of my chimney a 5 inch plug of soot and debris fell out of the chimney.
This stuff is no joke. Creosote buildup can cause some pretty nasty fires. Suggestions:
- When in doubt clean it. You don't want to risk a chimney fire.
- Use chimney cleaner products throughout your burn season.
- Get yourself a good chimney brush and flex extensions so you can clean your system at least once a year.
- If you are building a new system make sure you have clean-outs positioned well in your system so that you can clean easily.
- Burn dry seasoned wood. Wet \ Green wood will cause more buildup in your pipes.
- Burn your fires hot.
Cheers and Holiday Greetings to All!